View mobile site
Follow us on
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 | 1:14 p.m.
Hi, (not you?) | Member Center | Sign Out
Sign In | Register
Posted: 11:29 a.m. Saturday, July 28, 2012
CALDWELL COUNTY, N.C. —
A fire in Caldwell County left a home heavily damaged Saturday morning. The two-story house was engulfed in smoke around 10 a.m. Eyewitness News reporter Dave Fahrety learned that the owners of the 100-year-old home were helping a neighbor across the street when they noticed the heavy smoke. Firefighters said they saw flames coming out of nearly every part of the home. With temperatures soaring into the 90s, it was one of the most difficult fires they've fought this year, officials said. Firefighters scrambled to get water on the two-story home that dates back to the early 1900's. Neighbors first noticed the smoke coming out of the home. "We're building a barn and I saw smoke; a little bit of smoke, and I told him something over there is a burning," said Shannon Burns. The family that lives here was helping a neighbor across the street build a barn when they noticed smoke. When they returned to the home the fire had spread quickly from a laundry room. Because of the intense heat, three different fire departments in Caldwell County responded to the fire east of Hudson. Assistant Fire Chief Harley Bentley said "(It was) extremely hot. You couldn't man the hose very long without having to take a break, without getting completely exhausted." The fire marshal Robbie Wilkie told WSOC-TV he believes the fire started behind a dryer when some lint ignited. He says what happened here is a warning to others. "Most the time people clean the lint out on the front part of the dryer, but probably at least twice a year you need to move the dryer out and clean out the vent really well," said Wilkie. Damages here are estimated at $130,000. The owner here tells me tonight he is grateful for all the neighbors who have come forward, offering to help.
5 Day Forecast
Early Warning Doppler 9
Local Radar Loop
Regional Radar Loop
© 2013 Cox Media Group. By using this website,
Already have an account? Sign In
We have sent you a confirmation email. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account.
We look forward to seeing you frequently. Visit us and sign in to update your profile, receive the latest news and keep up to date with mobile alerts.
Don't worry, it happens. We'll send you a link to create a new password.
We have sent you an email with a link to change your password.
We've sent an email with instructions to create a new password. Your existing password has not been changed.
To sign in you must verify your email address. Fill out the form below and we'll send you an email to verify.
Check your email for a link to verify your email address.