A child was hit Sunday afternoon in a reported drive-by shooting. His mother was scared but happy the bullet that grazed him didn't seriously injure him.
"I'm angry," Chetney James said. "I'm scared, and I want to move."
Her 12-year-old son is recovering. So far police haven't released a suspect or car description, but the victim told us it was an orange car. He said that it went around twice before shots were fired in a neighborhood full of children.
"It came in the cul-de-sac and just started shooting," Antonio Staten said.
Staten says he felt his leg burning before he realized a bullet had grazed him.
"All I know is I heard gunshots," James said. "And the next thing you know they were carrying my son to the house."
She didn't want to show her face, but James says her family is no stranger to gun violence.
"My heart just dropped cause his daddy was murdered," James said.
She told me Antonio's father was shot and killed in 2004.
"So it just brought back a lot of memories," James said. "And I was scared."
But Antonio is doing OK. Police told Channel 9 he was not the intended target of the shooting on North Pine Street. The fact that he was hit troubled many officers.
"When anybody is hurt we really take it seriously, but since a child was hurt, it just touches all of us because we're all parents," Lt. Norman Garnes with CMPD said. "So yeah that's pretty tough."
James is just happy her fifth-grader is going to be OK.
"I'm just so glad and grateful that my son is standing over here," James said. "Bullets don't have eyes. It could have been worse than that."