State and local investigators are combed every inch of a Boone hotel after three people died inside the same room in less than two months.
BOONE, N.C. —
A Boone hotel where three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning is back open for business.
An employee of the Best Western on East King Street said the hotel is accepting reservations for Thursday night, and the hotel reopened Wednesday. The town issued a certificate of occupancy to the hotel last Thursday.
The hotel has been closed for more than a month after 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams was found dead in Room 225. His death and the deaths of Daryl and Shirley Jenkins in the same room in April were determined to be the result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Investigators determined that the carbon monoxide fumes came from a pool heater below the room. The hotel added a cover on the exhaust vent for the pool heater and plans to move the heater out of the hotel and into a storage building in the future.
Town inspectors said that, for now, the pool heater has been disconnected and the pool will be off-limits.
The room where Williams and the Jenkins died will not be available to visitors.
Police have not filed any criminal charges in connection with the deaths.