A concerned person sent Channel 9 a document with details about work recently performed at a Charlotte-Mecklenburg School.
Concerns first came to Channel 9 a few weeks ago that CMS had a mold problem at the modular classrooms at Clear Creek Elementary in Mint Hill.
At the time, CMS said it was just water damage -- no mold.
On Monday, a concerned viewer mailed a document, called an invitation to bid, that details the work contractors have been doing there. It talks about mold scheduled for removal and says workers should use respirators and protective suits and treat floors with a chemical called shockwave, listed as a mold abatement disinfectant.
Fourth-grader Ashyln Carpenter has heard the work.
“They keep going on the ceiling and banging under the floor,” she said.
Eyewitness News showed the report to her parents.
“Especially since she was born premature, that’s something we should have known,” Kristie Carpenter said.
“Parents need to know -- how safe is the environment your child spends most of their time in,” Donovan Carpenter said.
Building Services Director Phil Berman now admits workers did find mold in the building. He said it was not in the classroom area itself and that major cleanup work was done over spring break.
He said children were not exposed.
Berman admitted they should have notified parents. They are now and will do so in the future.