A Gaston County family is living at a motel now after a fire that may have started with chewing vermin.
The Reinhardt family's dog woke them just in time. Their home was already in flames.
"I was sound asleep," Frances Reinhardt said. "I didn't even know anything was going on."
Their home on Kirkland Road is now destroyed. They lost almost everything.
"All of the things that belonged to my husband. He passed away in '99. Everything that belonged to him [is] gone," Reinhardt said.
Officials know it was an electric short from underneath the house that sparked the fire. Reinhardt believes it may have been a raccoon or possum biting on the wires that caused it. After Reinhardt and her grandchildren woke up and got out of the house safely, they ran to her mother's home.
"It was coming out of her kitchen windows, and it was going up way above the house," Margaret Hale said. "It was way up there."
Hale is also thankful for her daughter's dog.
"If the dog hadn't barked and woke them up. They wouldn't be here now," Hale said. "We'd be going to be funerals instead."