On Monday night there were new concerns over the airport takeover.
Now, the federal government may stand in the way of the deal. This is all moving toward a legal battle this week.
The state has made an effort to take control of Charlotte-Douglas away from the city, and now the FAA is weighing in.
The FAA sent a letter to the city of Charlotte on Monday, and it said only the FAA has the authority to issue an operating certificate to the newly appointed airport commission – until then the city of Charlotte will keep control.
The FAA has asked North Carolina's attorney general to weigh in on the new law passed last week. It is specifically concerned that the airport would still be owned by the city, but controlled by a 13-member commission.
Eyewitness News was inside the government center for hours Monday night, as city leaders met behind closed doors.
The city has been fighting the state and its takeover bid.
After their meeting on Monday night, they told us their lawyers were concerned about the same issues the FAA brought up, and this will all come to a head on Thursday in court.
The city said Thursday's court hearing will determine how it moves forward in its fight against the takeover.