Firefighters gave workers at Alexander Assisted Living Center high marks for their quick response.
One firefighter told Eyewitness News all of the residents were outside when they arrived, but what really kept the fire from spreading was the sprinkler system.
Firefighters showed Eyewitness News one of the sprinkler heads. We could see them pushing water out of the building where it went off after the fire started on a mattress.
Sheriff's deputies believe it was caused by a lit cigarette. "I can tell you sprinkler systems are worth their weight in gold to a firefighter. Ninety-six to 98 percent of fires are kept in check in rooms with fires and that's exactly what happened in this case," said Emergency Service Director Russell Green.
Employees worked to clean up the mess and hope to have the residents moved back in later Wednesday evening.