The Caldwell County Fire Marshal's Office determined that the remains of used fireworks started a fire that destroyed a garage and a family's car just outside the town of Gamewell on Sunday night.
Robbie Wilkie, Caldwell County Emergency Services director, said the fire was reported just before 10 at night, at the home of Myron West, at 4117 Little Johns Church Road.
The family reported smelling smoke and then finding the fire in the attached garage of their home. Wilkie said it was determined the fire started in a cardboard box where the remains of fireworks had been stored to keep them away from the family pet.
The estimated damage to the structure is $20,000, including some smoke and water damage to the home itself. There were no injuries.
Responding the fire, other than the Caldwell County Fire Marshal's Office, was the Gamewell and Collettsville Fire Departments and Caldwell County EMS.