The Caldwell County Fire Marshal's office said a failure of a power supply to outside lighting was the cause of a fire at the Church of God in Hudson on Wednesday afternoon.
Deputy Fire Marshal Kevin Brown estimated fire damages to the church's attic and front walls at approximately $40,000. Brown said there is some water damage to the rest of the church but it was minimal. No one was in the building at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.
Neighbors around the church, seeing smoke, called in the fire at 333 Cedar Valley Road, in Hudson, just before 4 p.m. Wednesday. Firefighters declared the fire under control around 5:30 p.m.
In addition to the Caldwell County Fire Marshal's Office, multiple fire departments responded to the fire including North Catawba, Sawmills, Hudson and Lenoir fire departments. Little River Fire Department served as backup for the responding departments.