The man accused of killing Monroe teenager Phylicia Barnes will get a new trial.
Michael Johnson was convicted of second-degree murder last month.
Before sentencing Wednesday, his defense team asked a judge for a new trial.
A judge granted that request Wednesday afternoon.
The defense team said prosecutors did not give them enough time to research one of the witnesses.
They argue that the time would have helped them discredit the witness.
"We are disappointed in the judge's decision, but we look forward to the new trial in which we will be able to present the evidence and testimony we believe establishes the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt," said State's Attorney Gregg L. Bernstein.
The honor student disappeared while visiting her sister in Baltimore in December 2010. Her body was found four months later in the Susquehanna River.
Stay with wsoctv.com for more on this developing story.