An explosion injured a man on Monday morning at a home in southeast Charlotte.
The family said it blew dishes off of the shelves and knocked the walls off the foundation near the garage.
The damage to the home off of Ashley Farm Road was considerable.
The blast knocked out windows and inside in knocked dishes and glass onto the floor.
In the garage, where the blast appears to have happened just after 6 a.m., the water heater was mangled and blackened while the walls were charred and buckled.
"That wall was the first thing I saw when I pulled up. The wall bowed out and almost falling," said homeowner Anne Colligan who rents the home to a family of four.
"The windows are boarded up. The garage wall is almost off expected for the siding," she said.
She said firefighters told her the burned motorcycle had something to do with the fire.
They said gas may have been leaking from a line and when the renter opened the garage door in the morning it may have blown the fumes back to the flame on the hot water heater. That is something the neighbors also heard.
"Maybe when he got up this morning it was leaking when he started his truck ... boom," said neighbor Diane Wright.
The explosion injured a man at the home, one of two adults, a teenager and a six-month-old baby inside.
Colligan spoke to the male adult, and he is thankful he will be OK.
"He is thankful to be up and around. Thankfully somebody was watching over him," she said.
At this time, the Charlotte Fire Department has not determined the cause of the incident.