View mobile site
Follow us on
Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013 | 9:13 p.m.
Hi, (not you?) | Member Center | Sign Out
Sign In | Register
Posted: 4:41 p.m. Monday, Sept. 24, 2012
CHARLOTTE, N.C. —
Police said a baby girl was alone inside an east Charlotte apartment when it caught fire.
The 9-month-old is now in the hospital, being treated for smoke inhalation.
Police said the baby’s grandmother left her unattended with a pot cooking on the stove. Authorities said the pot then caught fire and soon, smoke began drifting from the apartment on Barrington Drive.
A man who lives next door said he saw and smelled smoke coming through the walls and ran next door to help. He said his heart was pounding when he saw the child and realized she was alone.
He said it took a lot of courage to run into the burning apartment but that he knew he had to do it.
“I'm glad she's all right,” Davon Morgan said. “I'm glad of that. If I wouldn't have got to her in time, wouldn't have been worth it.”
The baby's mother was at work when the incident happened, which is why the grandmother was in charge of the baby, officials said.
Police said she could face child neglect charges.
5 Day Forecast
Early Warning Doppler 9
Local Radar Loop
Regional Radar Loop
© 2013 Cox Media Group. By using this website,
Already have an account? Sign In
We have sent you a confirmation email. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account.
We look forward to seeing you frequently. Visit us and sign in to update your profile, receive the latest news and keep up to date with mobile alerts.
Don't worry, it happens. We'll send you a link to create a new password.
We have sent you an email with a link to change your password.
We've sent an email with instructions to create a new password. Your existing password has not been changed.
To sign in you must verify your email address. Fill out the form below and we'll send you an email to verify.
Check your email for a link to verify your email address.