The TSA announced Wednesday that 35 airports will allow expedited screening at checkpoints for prescreened passengers by the end of 2012.
The list of airports includes Charlotte, Orlando, Pittsburgh and Seattle-Tacoma airports.
The announcement expands a pilot program at seven airports.
According to information from the TSA, prescreened passengers will be able to pass through security checkpoints with jackets, shoes and belts on. They will also be allowed to keep laptops in bags and liquids in suitcases, officials said.
"I'm a big fan of that," frequent flyer Jeff Dolan said at Charlotte-Douglas Airport. "That makes a lot of sense."
The TSA said participating airlines will contact their frequent flyers who are eligible.
Other air travelers who are interested in the program can enroll in a government-trusted travel program such as Global Entry, which does require paid membership.
TSA officials say if a traveler is accepted into the TSA Pre-Check program, the information will be embedded into their boarding passes.
Approved travelers go through a separate line where a machine checks their passes for approval.
"The key is that we have done pre-screening before somebody ever gets to the checkpoint," TSA Administrator John Pistole said.
But he was quick to add there are no guarantees.
"Even if you qualify, you may, on your next time, be asked to go through regular screening or even additional screening," Pistole said, referencing the TSA random check policy.
He said the system allows the TSA to focus more on people they are not familiar with or people who are on their watch list.
"The expansion of TSA PreCheck to the nation's busiest airports will increase our security capabilities and expedite the screening process for travelers we consider our trusted partners," said Department of Homeland Security Sec. Janet Napolitano.
TSA PreCheck will be implemented at the following airport locations throughout 2012:
· Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
· Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
· Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
· Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
· Denver International Airport (DEN)
· Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
· George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston (IAH)
· Honolulu International Airport (HNL)
· Indianapolis International Airport (IND)
· John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
· LaGuardia Airport in New York City (LGA)
· Lambert-St. Louis International Airport (STL)
· Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
· Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)
· Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey (EWR)
· O'Hare International Airport in Chicago (ORD)
· Orlando International Airport (MCO)
· Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
· Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
· Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
· Portland International Airport (PDX)
· Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
· Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
· San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
· Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
· Tampa International Airport (TPA)
· Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC)