Updated: 7:27 p.m. Thursday, April 28, 2011 | Posted: 7:19 p.m. Thursday, April 28, 2011
Officials Still Mum On DNC Fundraising Efforts
CHARLOTTE, N.C. —
The Charlotte group trying to raise roughly $37 million for the 2012 Democratic National Convention keeps refusing to say how much money it landed so far.
Former Mecklenburg County commissioner Dan Murrey, who becomes executive director of the host committee Monday, said, "Just as the contract stipulates we're going to do it exactly the way the contract says and that's how we've been asked to do it."
Mayor Anthony Foxx even told reporters to look at the contract. So, Eyewitness News did. It says the host committee must tell the public, but doesn't say when, just at some "agreed upon regular timeframe [on its] website."
Voter Ashley McCloud doesn't know what the money total is a secret. She said, "I think it should be more open. That way everybody knows what's going on and everybody's informed of what's happening. So they should be open about it."
Foxx said, "As time goes on, you will be made aware of how we're planning to do that."