CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The owner of a Plaza Midwood restaurant said her business's unisex bathroom is getting national media attention after she posted a sign explaining the restroom is available for people in the LGBT community.
Juli Ghazi, the owner of Pure Pizza, posted the sign, which also says the bathroom is available for single fathers with daughters, single mothers with sons and adults with aging parents who may have disabilities.
Ghazi said gender-specific bathrooms can make some people uncomfortable and told Channel 9 that customers have accepted the idea, though she wouldn’t be upset if the sign drives some away.
“The great thing is there are so many options for pizza that it's not going to hurt my feelings that we aren't your option,” Ghazi said.
The business has had the sign up for about five months, but recently received attention when the owner's friend posted a picture of it online.
Be sure to download the WSOC-TV Wake Up app to get the latest breaking news, weather and traffic on your phone first thing in the mornings.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- NC lottery to no longer contribute to teacher salaries
- Charlotte pizzeria's bathroom sign garners national attention
- Huntersville police investigating DWI crash in Birkdale Village
- Troopers: One killed in overnight crash in Rowan Co.
- FORECAST: Brief warming trend before rain, cold air arrives
- In GOP response to Obama, Nikki Haley defends immigrants