by: Jamie Bowers Updated:
The Belk Carolinas' Carrousel Parade will bring over 100,000 spectators to Uptown Charlotte on Thanksgiving Day. Traffic Team 9 has researched the best places to park, plus the best alternate routes to get around the parade.
- PARADE INFORMATION: The Belk Carolinas' Carrousel Parade will begin at 10 a.m. on North Tryon St. at 10th St. The parade will proceed south on Tryon St. through Uptown before ending on South Tryon St. at Stonewall St. Over 70 units are expected to participate.
- BEST PLACES TO PARK: There are numerous parking garages along Church St. and College St., and many will offer free or discounted parking on Thanksgiving. Each of these parking garages is one block or less from the Tryon St. parade route. Cheaper parking may be available near the Government Center but will require a longer walk.
- AVOID THE PARKING HASSLE by riding the LYNX light rail. All of the Uptown LYNX stations are a short walk from the parade route and free parking is available in the LYNX park and ride facilities. LYNX trains will be operating every 20 minutes on Thanksgiving Day.
- ALTERNATE ROUTES: Tryon St. will be closed between the Church St. Connector (near Brookshire Freeway) and Morehead St. from early morning through early afternoon on Thanksgiving Day. Church St. and College St. will be open but congested with parade traffic. Use Caldwell St., Brevard St., or Graham St. as alternate routes traveling north-south through Uptown Charlotte.
- TRAFFIC TEAM 9 EXPECT ADVICE: According to Charlotte Center City Partners, Tryon St. at 8th St. is one of the best places to watch the parade. Crowds are usually smaller in this area and there are steps which allow children to see over other spectators.
Carolinas' Carrousel Parade traffic and parking
Crews to start blasting for I-77 toll lane tunnel; new traffic pattern begins
City declares Charlotte Thanksgiving parade 'extraordinary event'
Crews close Central Avenue at railroad crossings Monday
WEEKEND TRAFFIC: Charlotte Marathon, Blue Line construction