by: Jamie Bowers Updated:
None - This was originally the "scenic alternate route" for the I-40 rockslide. While I-40 has reopened, so many people enjoyed the route that we've decided to keep it available on WSOCTV.com!
- Heading west from Asheville on I-40, take Exit 27/US 74/Great Smoky Mountains Expressway.
- If it's near lunch or dinner, consider stopping at the historic Jarrett House in Dillsboro (take US 441 South into Dillsboro - just a few minutes off Highway 74, and well worth it!).
- From Dillsboro, continue west on Highway 74.
- Turn right onto US 441 North (toward Cherokee).
- Follow US 441 through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- In Gatlinburg, turn right onto US 321 and follow to I-40.
- You'll rejoin I-40 near Newport, TN, just across the NC/TN state line.
This scenic route is best considered a leisurely all-day (or half-day) drive. Don't take it if you're in a big rush. Do take it if you need a little time to soak in beautiful scenery on the roads less traveled.