JAMIE'S SECRET ROUTE TO MYRTLE BEACH (Confidential) -- There are dozens of different routes between Charlotte and Myrtle Beach, but almost every route includes Highway 74 through Monroe, a heavily-congested choke point. Many routes also include Highway 501 in Conway, another choke point. My secret route bypasses both of these areas.
- Take I-485 to Exit 44/Highway 218 in Mint Hill.
- Follow Highway 218 east through Union County into Anson County, continuing to Polkton (this bypasses the Monroe congestion). In Polkton, turn left onto eastbound Highway 74 (toward Wadesboro).
- Follow the Highway 74 bypass around Rockingham and Hamlet.
- Exit onto Highway 38 and turn right, heading south toward Bennettsville (the cheapest gas is often in Bennettsville).
- In Bennettsville, Highway 38 will make several turns, so pay attention. Each turn is clearly marked as you continue traveling south through town.
- After passing the I-95 interchange, Highway 38 will merge with Highway 501. Continue traveling south.
- Just past Aynor, turn left onto SC 22 (Veterans Highway).
- SC 22/Veterans Highway ends at Highway 17 in Myrtle Beach.
- As an alternate to the congestion on Highway 17, use SC 31/Carolina Bays Parkway (this runs parallel to Highway 17 and provides access to the entire Myrtle Beach area).