MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. CALL TO SERVICE
United Way of Central Carolinas will celebrate the life, legacy and vision of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with its annual MLK Call to Service on Saturday, January 18 from noon until 2 p.m. at The Park Expo & Conference Center in Charlotte.
The family friendly community event will feature a variety of hands-on service-learning projects and educational activities for children, individuals, families and groups centered on the holiday that bears the civil rights leader’s name.
Here are some highlights for this year’s event:
SERVICE-LEARNING & FUN PROJECTS
· Creating number and alphabet flash cards for Classroom Central
· Encouragement cards for Love In Action Project
· Making no-sew baby blankets for Baby Bundles
· Designing bookmarks for Promising Pages
· A Kids Activity Zone hosted by Jack & Jill of America, Charlotte Chapter
· A technology drive to benefit Informative Technologies, Inc.
· A blood donation drive with OneBlood
· A variety of interactive poverty simulation exercises
· A nonprofit agency informational area
While MLK Call to Service delivers valuable assistance to nonprofit organizations, schools and other service providers, it also allows volunteers to reflect on the meaning of Dr. King’s life of service and move closer to his vision of a connected community where we each reach our full potential.
Last year, more than 1,200 volunteers gave back to the greater Charlotte community during MLK Call to Service. The event is part of United Way’s commitment to championing equity and inclusion in our community.
© 2020 Cox Media Group