Community

What this investigator is reading

For the third year, Channel 9 has teamed up with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library for 9 Books for Kids, so we're finding out about some of our anchors’ favorite books.

When he's not covering WSOC-TV's "Whistleblower 9" investigations, Paul Boyd is softening up his delivery with Dr. Seuss books such as "Green Eggs and Ham," "The Cat in the Hat" and "The Lorax."

“My favorite books to read revolve around the creative writings of Dr. Seuss,” said Boyd. “These books are among my favorites because they have always been fun to read aloud to my own children. I also love to bring life to the pages when reading to their classmates on 'mystery reader' day at school.”

Boyd credits his passion for reading to his elementary school teachers who found creative ways to make reading time fun.

"There were different reading stations set up around the classroom that allowed each student to feel a sense of independence while we curled up and read interesting books,” said Boyd.

"One of my favorite series of books to read growing up was 'Encyclopedia Brown' by Donald Solbol. The mystery novels followed the adventures of a boy detective and I loved trying to solve the case alongside the characters in the book!"

You can help put books in the hands of kids in our community by donating to our 9 Books for Kids drive. You can donate new or gently used books for children and teens at any Charlotte Mecklenburg Library location now through April 12. Additionally, three 9 Family Focus community business partners have chosen to collect books at their Mecklenburg county locations: Showmars, Ashley HomeStore and E.R. Plumbing Services.

“Reading is the cornerstone for so much we do in life,” said Boyd. “Supporting childhood literacy efforts is crucial to help give young people an essential foundation for their future.”

All donated books will be distributed by the library to area children and teens through Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Outreach Services without the need to check out and return the book. Find more information by clicking this link.