BEECH MOUNTAIN, N.C. — Excitement and nostalgia surround the mysterious Land of Oz theme park in Beech Mountain, North Carolina. Although it was closed for many years, the park now opens its gates to host special events several times a year.
This year, the park has expanded its offerings in celebration of the 80th anniversary of the classic MGM film, "The Wizard of Oz."
The annual Autumn at Oz festival is set for the weekends of Sept. 6-8 and Sept. 13-15. The festival features all of the characters from the story, a petting zoo, pony rides and more.
Tickets cost $45 (plus taxes and processing fees). Children age 2 and under are admitted free.
From our past visits, here are some things you'll want to keep in mind.
- Typically, the events sell out fast, so plan on purchasing your tickets in advance.
- Tickets are usually sold for time-specific tours.
- Event parking is located in downtown Beech Mountain at 889 Elderberry Ridge Road. A free shuttle service will take you to the park.
- Plan to arrive at the parking lot before the scheduled time slot on your ticket. You'll be able to take the shuttle to the park any time after your ticket time until the event ends that day.
- Due to many uneven pathways, stairs and ramps, The Land of Oz is not wheelchair or stroller friendly. .
For more info about the Land of Oz, visit landofoznc.com.
Fascinating Fact: The road is composed of 44,000 yellow bricks and winds around the very top of Beech Mountain at an altitude of 5,506 feet above sea level.
© 2020 Cox Media Group