• Man accused of shooting officers, girl to appear in court

    By: Alexa Ashwell , Trish Williford


    CHARLOTTE - The man accused of shooting two Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers and a 10-year-old girl was supposed to make his first court appearance Tuesday, but that never happened.

    RAW VIDEO: Suspect in shooting of two officers walked into CMPD headquarters

    Police have charged Brandon Jamorris Brewer, 27, with the shootings.

    WATCH: CMPD: Suspect taken into custody after officers shot

    The two injured officers were identified as Kevin Stafford and Eric Bojaj. According to CMPD, Officer Stafford has been a member since Aug. 29, 2011. Officer Bojaj has been with the department since Jan. 25, 2010. Both officers are currently assigned to patrol in the North Tryon Division.

    Police Chief Rodney Monroe said in a press conference that officers were responding to a domestic violence call in the 400 block of Kingville Road on Sunday.

    WATCH: Police Chief Monroe talks after officers shot

    They were unable to find the woman who placed the call, and saw a black man leaving a house. The man fired a shotgun at the officers. The first officer was hit in the leg and arm by what Monroe thinks were shotgun pellets.

    Monroe also said, "It's a very lucky day that nobody is dead and nobody seriously injured."

    Police said a 10-year-old girl was home with a sibling when Brewer knocked on her door.

    CHOPPER 9: CMPD cruiser with damage to windshield

    According to police, Brewer pulled out a shotgun and shot through a window.

    Police said the 10-year-old suffered superficial injuries and will be OK.

    WATCH: 10-year-old recalls being shot in the face

    The officers received minor injuries and were transported to Carolinas Medical Center.

    One was shot in the leg and arm, the other in the face and elbow.

    Chief Monroe told Channel 9 the officers were in high spirits Sunday night. Their hospital rooms were next to each other and they spent time with their families.

    One of the officer's wives was in Tennessee when she got the call, so the chief made arrangements for a police escort to get her back to Charlotte as quickly as possible.

    Both officers were discharged from the hospital just before noon Monday.

    CMPD is not releasing any further information about the officers except to say that they are at home and grateful for the support from the community.

    The president of the local chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police told Eyewitness News they are relieved that the officers are OK.

    “We heard through their captain that they're doing well,” said FOP President Todd Walther. “I've spoken with the chief today. He's talked with one of the wives, or met with one of them yesterday. Met with the whole family yesterday, but everything sounds like it's OK.”

    WATCH: Two police officers, 10-year-old girl recovering after shooting

    The shooting happened near Tom Hunter Road and North Tryon Street.

    According to police, Brewer barricaded himself in a home before surrendering. Monroe said Brewer surrendered to police and came out of the house unarmed.

    Early Monday morning, police charged Brewer with three counts of attempted murder, three counts of assault with a firearm on a law enforcement officer, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, six counts of discharging a firearm into occupied dwelling, two counts of damage to property, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, assault by pointing a gun and discharging a firearm within the city limits.

    Brewer was then transferred to the Mecklenburg County jail where he remained in custody.

    Chopper 9 flew over the scene of the shooting, where there was visible damage to a police patrol car.

    Brewer's criminal background

    Brewer was last arrested on March 17 after a domestic call.

    Records show Brewer's girlfriend said "he assaulted her. Then 911 advised the call disconnected and they could not get her back on". 

    Police charged him with assault and interfering with emergency communications but the case was dismissed when she didn't show up for court.

    Brewer was also arrested in a 2006 armed robbery, 2004 armed robbery and 2006 felony hit-and-run. Eyewitness News talked with one of the victim's aunts over the phone.

    She said her nephew was getting into his car when Brewer approached him with a gun, took the car and crashed it at the end of the road.

    Brewer was convicted and sentenced in February 2006 on the charge of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to seriously injury.

    He was set to serve his sentence in January 2007. Between that time, Brewer committed and was convicted of robbery with a dangerous weapon and failure to stop for accident.

    Using North Carolina’s Department of Public Safety’s database, Channel 9 calculated how long Brewer could have served had he had been ordered to serve each crime’s minimum sentence.

    The minimum sentences for assault with a deadly weapon to seriously injure, crimes of robbery with a dangerous weapon, and failure to stop for an accident all add up to 7 years 8 months.

    But, a judge allowed Brewer to serve the sentences concurrently and he was released early on parole. Brewer served 5 years and 8 months, along with 9 months of parole.

    Neighbors at scene in disbelief

    There were hundreds of people standing along Tom Hunter Road and North Ridge Village this is one block away from where CMPD SWAT teams and canine units were searching for the suspect, Brandon Brewer.

    Around 4:30 p.m., Channel 9 saw more than a hundred CMPD officers, and members of the SWAT team near Canterwood Drive searching for Brewer who officers said was holed up inside a home.

    Two officers and a 10-year-old girl were all shot before police managed to take Brewer into custody.

    Neighbors stood by in disbelief.

    WATCH: Neighbors react after officer shot

     “It's senseless whether it's one cop, two cops, three cops,” said William Adams who lives nearby.

    “It's just ridiculous.  This shouldn't happen,” said neighbor Melissa Hurst.

    Several people living along Northridge Village were told to stay away from the neighborhood as police searched for Brewer.

    They were allowed back inside after showing identification to authorities.

    Next Up: