CHARLOTTE, N.C. - One person died in a crash Friday night on Beatties Ford Road near French Street, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said.
Travis Narada Chappell is facing charges of felony death by motor vehicle, involuntary manslaughter, careless and reckless driving and possession of drug paraphernalia, police said.
Police said officers were called to an Exxon gas station around 10:30 p.m. Friday regarding a disturbance.
Before they arrived, Chappell allegedly left the scene in a gold Ford Taurus, police said.
Police attempted to stop Chappell, but he continued traveling at high speeds with no lights, CMPD said.
Officers chased Chappell as he allegedly drove through two red lights. At the second red light on French Street, Chappell allegedly struck a Dodge Neon on its rear side.
Chappell continued driving and ran off the road into a brick wall where it caught on fire, police said.
Officers pulled two people from the Taurus, Chappell and a passenger identified as Evelyn Elaine Smith. Police pronounced Smith dead at the scene.
The driver of the Dodge Neon and her 2-year-old child were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
A third vehicle was hit by debris from the crash.
The road was closed at about 11 p.m.
Police said speed and alcohol were contributing factors in the crash.
Chappell was also found to be driving with a revoked license, police said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Birth mother kills teen girl after reunion, burns her body in fire pit on remote farm, police say
- Store clerk shot during robbery inside Huntersville 7-Eleven
- Texas prepares as Harvey strengthens to Category 2 storm
- Massachusetts woman wins $758M Powerball prize: 'I said, it's never going to be me'
- WATCH: Keith Monday's weekend forecast outlook
- SC principal apologizes for telling students they 'look fat' in leggings
© 2019 Cox Media Group.