MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. - A 400-pound marlin was caught and reeled in by a 16-year-old off the North Carolina coast.
E.J. Nettles said it took him 45 minutes to reel in the massive fish during a tournament in Morehead City.
It was the third blue marlin caught on Wednesday at the Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament.
Nettles, who was fishing on the vessel “Rare Breed,” became the first known junior angler to weigh a blue marlin in the tournament.
On Tuesday, two other marlins were brought to the scales, weighing 518 and 409 pounds respectively.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- High school senior escorted off stage after dancing during graduation
- Teens accused of killing beloved college baseball player to appear in court
- Feds raid several locations in NC & SC in massive drug operation
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Kroger closures in North Carolina to affect 1,500 workers
© 2018 Cox Media Group.