HICKORY, N.C. - A teenager in Catawba County is claiming self-defense after firing several shots during a home invasion and robbery.
The 19-year-old said he was asleep inside the home in northeast Hickory when two men broke in armed with a handgun.
“I opened one eye because my dog was whimpering. When I opened it there were two men standing over top of me,” Freeman Haney said.
Haney said his puppy that woke him to the intruders Thursday morning.
“One was armed with what looked like a real gun. The other one proceeded to grab my shotgun, which was on the bed, and I grabbed my other firearm, and that was it from there,” Haney said.
Deputies said Haney fired several times.
When they checked local hospitals, they learned that a man had shown up at Frye Regional Medical Center with four gunshot wounds.
Haney said one of the suspects dropped his gun as he ran out of the home.
He believes what happened was a case of self-defense.
“Self-defense. Most definitely. They were in my house. I woke up and anybody would have done the same thing, I guarantee you,” Haney said.
Deputies said the man who was shot several times was able to walk into the hospital. He was talking with investigators about the case.
No other details have been released.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com
- Man taken into custody after SWAT situation at home in Catawba County
- Innocent bystander on sidewalk hit by flipped-over vehicle during domestic dispute
- Man with concealed-carry holds suspect, accused of crashing into cars, at bay
- FORECAST: Preview of fall continues with cooler temps and sunshine
- Charlotte woman demands money back after saying vacation went bad
© 2019 Cox Media Group.