• 2 area ponds test positive for toxic algae harmful to humans, pets

    By: Joe Bruno


    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Two area ponds have tested positive for a dangerous bacteria that can be dangerous for people and pets.

    This news comes after three dogs died of being exposed to the blue-green algae last week in a Wilmington pond.

    A pond in the Tall Oaks neighborhood in Mooresville and one at Robbins Park in Cornelius carry the toxic algae, officials said.

    [READ MORE: 3 dogs die after swimming in NC pond with blue-green algae]

    A neighborhood resident said he was suspicious when he found hundreds of dead fish in the pond a couple of weeks ago.

    "Nobody could believe all the fish died," the resident, who did not want to be identified, said. "It is scary not knowing what is going on."

    "Dogs, they don't care. If it's hot, they're going to get in the water," said Rusty Rozzelle, who is the water quality program manager at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Stormwater Services. "And if they're in the water, they're going to drink it. They may even eat the algae and that's what gets them in trouble."

    Rozzelle said the algae problem is more pronounced in ponds where the water is stagnant -- not so much for rivers or lakes.


    Hot conditions make the water a breeding ground for blooms.

    "We'll have algae blooms and problems with algae blooms throughout the rest of the summer," Rozzelle said.

    People and pets should stay away from water if there is green scum, discoloration or a foul order.

    "If you have a pet, washing it with clean water, if it happens, to get in that water, and if it starts showing symptoms of being sick, to get it to the vet immediately because it does take effect very quickly," Rozzelle said.

    The Wilmington dog owner is pushing for change.  She is contacting state lawmakers hoping to get warning signs posted near ponds and lakes.

    Next Up: