BALD HEAD ISLAND, N.C. - Emergency officials said an 8-year-old boy was taken to the hospital after he was bitten by a shark Sunday afternoon on Bald Head Island.
Brunswick County officials confirmed with WECT that EMS was called to the island around 4 p.m. about a shark bite.
According to Village Manager Chris McCall, the boy was in the ocean when a shark grabbed him by the leg.
“A young boy was bitten by something believed to be a shark, given the type of wounds sustained and the assessment made by first responders,” McCall told WECT.
He said the boy was initially treated by Village Public Safety Officers on the island before being taken to the hospital on the mainland by the Bald Head Island ferry.
McCall told WECT the injuries did not require a medevac to the hospital and that the child was being treated for multiple puncture wounds but should make a full recovery.
The size and species of the shark are unknown.
The attack marks the third off the coast of North Carolina this month.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Deputies: 2 dead, including 11-year-old boy, after mobile home set on fire
- 8-year-old boy bitten by shark at Bald Head Island
- Lucky break helps teen survive surprise ray strike off Hilton Head
- FORECAST: Monday kicks off week of rainy, muggy weather across region
- Retired UNC professor dead after disappearing during NY swim race
© 2019 Cox Media Group.