CHARLOTTE, N.C. - AAA projects gas prices will stay low in 2016 and perhaps slip even lower than in 2015.
The organization estimates the average cost of a gallon of regular gasoline will range between $2.25 and $2.45.
In 2015, the average prices for a gallon of gas was $2.40.
AAA also said it projects the national average would stay steady or drop another 10 cents in the coming weeks. It said it doesn’t believe the average will go above $3 in 2016.
For Charlotte drivers, the average cost for a gallon of gas is $1.92, which is the same for drivers across North Carolina.
South Carolina has some of the least expensive gas in the country at $1.74 per gallon.
The nationwide average is $1.99.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- AAA projects gas prices to remain low in 2016
- Man fatally shot in north Charlotte first homicide of 2016
- Well-known Mooresville restaurant damaged in fire
- FORECAST: Clear skies, cool temps for Panthers game
- Officials: Man arrested and charged after SWAT standoff