TULSA, OKLAHOMA - A man is facing charges after a woman said he touched her inappropriately during an American Airlines flight out of Charlotte on Tuesday.
James Cholewinski was charged Friday in federal court for criminal sexual misconduct. He has also been charged with public intoxication.
The situation caused pilots to ground the plane early, according to officials.
Flight 807 took off Tuesday from Charlotte and was bound for Salt Lake City before the disruption.
A police report said the woman claimed Cholewinski, who was sitting next to her, touched her inappropriately multiple times and grabbed her.
The captain had to move the woman and her daughter to another seat.
Airline officials said the flight was diverted to Tulsa, Oklahoma, where officers were waiting to remove and arrest Cholewinski.
The flight then continued to Utah.
According to the report, Cholewinski's eyes were bloodshot and watery and his speech was slurred.
"I am thankful for the men and women of law enforcement who work to ensure the safety and security of the traveling public," U.S. Attorney Trent Shores of the Northern District of Oklahoma said in a statement.
The FBI will continue to investigate.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Escaped murder suspect, 13, shows up at uncle's house in leg shackle
- Officials: 7 students hurt when school bus rear-ended in Stanly County
- SC man gets 10 years for enslaving, torturing man with disabilities
- FORECAST: Rain on the way ahead of dramatic temperature plunge
- Teacher accused of sex with student found dead in apparent murder-suicide
© 2019 Cox Media Group.