MECKLENBURG COUNTY, N.C. - With its rugged mountains and coastal retreats, perhaps it should come as no surprise that visitor spending in North Carolina continues to grow — but it’s the state’s largest metro that’s drawing the most dollars, according to figures recently released by Visit North Carolina.
Statewide spending by domestic visitors rose to a record $25.3 billion in 2018, marking a 5.6% increase from the previous year.
While that growth was reflected across all of the state’s 100 counties, Mecklenburg County led the way with nearly $5.7 billion. Wake County ranked No. 2 with roughly $2.4 billion, followed by Guilford County at $1.5 billion.
The tourism industry in Mecklenburg alone directly employs 53,300 workers, generating a $2.2 billion payroll.
Read more here and check out photos of some of the county’s top attractions.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'She was so young': Family mourns Union County teen killed by father
- 'We heard this big boom': Man fires gun inside CVS during hold up
- NC 9-year-old shot, killed in car was on the way to get snow cone
- Woman killed in Highway 74 crash remembered as 'warm, kindhearted'
- FORECAST: Heat holds on ahead of afternoon showers, evening downpours
© 2019 Cox Media Group.