CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Last month, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools announced that the North Carolina High School Athletic Association had lifted its COVID-19 restrictions and district athletes would resume athletic activities on July 6.
On Thursday, CMS said that will not happen.
The district said the decision to further postpone athletic activities comes after leaders consulted with local public health officials, discussed readiness with athletic directors and reviewed current conditions in the county.
“Our analysis has revealed that there is much uncertainty and many unanswered questions at the present time. In view of those considerations, we believe it is in the best interest of our student athletes and our staff to postpone resumption of on campus athletic activity until we have greater confidence that doing so will be in an environment that protects health,” a CMS spokesperson said.
CMS said they have reached out to school districts across the state and many seem likely to delay the start of activities as well.
>> Have questions about the coronavirus pandemic and its impact on the Carolinas? We have an entire section dedicated to coverage of the outbreak -- CLICK HERE FOR MORE.
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group