CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A month after Randall “Wes” Kerrick walked out of court and the state attorney general formally dismissed the manslaughter charge against him his attorneys have filed the paperwork to expunge all of the records in the case.
“It's more of a closure to a long process,” Kerrick’s attorney, Mike Greene, told Eyewitness News Wednesday.
Read our past coverage:
- Demonstrators headed to rally slow traffic on Interstate 277
- Voluntary manslaughter charge against CMPD officer Randall 'Wes' Kerrick dismissed
- SOCIAL MEDIA UPDATES: NCAG Office will not retry Randall "Wes" Kerrick
- Protesters march in uptown after mistrial in Kerrick trial
Greene said it's a step he offers to all of his clients who are found not guilty or who have the charges against them dismissed.
In Kerrick's case that means all of the evidence the police gathered, including that dashcam video, would be destroyed.
All of the court records from his manslaughter trial would also go.
Kerrick's mugshot is already off the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office website, but if it weren't it would disappear as well.
“I think this is just one of the last parts of getting everything behind him,” Greene said.
The SBI has to review the records and sign off on the expunction. Greene said he expects that to take eight months to a year.
Attorneys for former Carolina Panther Greg Hardy also filed for an expunction in his case back in March, and they are still waiting for that to be finalized.
It’s a step that attorney Rob Corbett said is worth waiting for.
“Even for someone who's not charged with that serious of a crime, when they apply for a job, they apply for housing, even if (the charge) has been dismissed it's always hanging over their head,” Corbett said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- TRACKING JOAQUIN: Category 3 storm could add to rainy mess across East Coast
- 1 dies in SC flooding as storms threaten to move up coast
- WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEO: Man beaten with propane tank
- FORECAST: Cold front sweeps in, drought status improves
- Woman asking for ride carjacks mother with toddler at gunpoint