CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The rider of an ATV tried to pass a stopped car and light rail crossing gates before being struck by a train Monday night in South End, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said.
The collision happened at about 9:20 p.m. near the East/West station in South End.
Channel; 9 watched as crews removed the mangled ATV from the train tracks.
Witnesses said people inside Blaze Pizza ran out to help the rider after the crash.
"It was pure metal on metal,” witness Trevor McMillan said.
McMillan told Channel 9 the rider’s leg was badly injured.
Paramedics took that rider to Atrium Health with serious injuries.
Alcohol and speed were not factors in the collision, police said.
The rider was not wearing a helmet.
Return to this story for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Rock Hill man betrayed after attorney pockets $166K mortgage payoff
- 'He was looking forward to heaven': Boy with rare form of dwarfism laid to rest
- Alleged Florida serial killer has ties to Charlotte area
- FORECAST: Final hot day before cold front, wet weather arrives
- Report: Cam Newton misses practice after aggravating foot injury
© 2019 Cox Media Group.