MONROE, N.C. - A truck driver was charged after a woman was found dead on the side of a Monroe road last month.
Investigators said the body of 34-year-old Daphne Alvarez-Torres was found along East Roosevelt Boulevard near Secrest Avenue.
Authorities said Eric Colon, 44, was driving the white Freightliner Cascadia truck that fatally struck Alvarez-Torres.
Colon has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and felony hit-and-run.
Police said Alvarez-Torres was reported missing on June 17. She was last seen walking out of Tyson Foods, where she worked, around 3 a.m. just a couple of days before.
(Photo example of truck)
The Monroe Police Department gave a special thanks to everyone who helped provide information during the investigation.
Colon was taken to the Union County Jail and is expected to appear in court on July 18.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- NC man sues Hardee's, says civil rights violated when he wasn't given enough hash browns
- 20 rescued, 3 hospitalized after restaurant dock collapses into SC creek
- 31-year-old free climber falls to his death at Linville Gorge
- FORECAST: Week of Fourth of July set to be hot, humid across region
- Investigators search for suspects after Richmond Co. Rescue Squad's truck stolen, torched
© 2019 Cox Media Group.