• Bedroom collapses to basement in Gastonia house fire


    GASTON COUNTY, N.C. - An electrical issue was blamed for a house fire Monday morning in Gastonia.

    Firefighters were called around 10:37 a.m. to 2516 Georgemont Court in Gastonia.

    Firefighters arrived on the scene, and saw a home with smoke coming from the rear of the home. Heavy smoke was found in the basement of the home.
    Personnel extinguished the fire in the basement in about 10 minutes, while search and rescue crews did a search of the house.
    During the search of the home, the structural integrity of the floor in a bedroom over the basement was questioned, and an immediate evacuation was ordered.
    Just as all firefighters evacuated, the floor of the bedroom collapsed in to the basement of the home.
    No firefighters were injured due to the structural collapse.

    A total of 30 personnel, and six apparatus were on the scene.

    No injuries to firefighters or civilians were reported.
    An estimated $200,000 in damages was caused by the fire, and due to structural damage is a total loss.
    At the time of the fire, two occupants were inside the home but evacuated immediately and were not injured.
    The cause of the fire was due to an electrical issue with a golf cart being plugged in for charging in the basement of the home.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Bedroom collapses to basement in Gastonia house fire

  • Headline Goes Here

    2 masked gunmen rob Verizon store near Northlake Mall, CMPD says

  • Headline Goes Here

    4-year-old believed to be dead after being swept away by ocean in Kitty Hawk

  • Headline Goes Here

    Silver Alert issued for Gaston County man

  • Headline Goes Here

    Embattled VA nominee Ronny Jackson accused of drunken driving, drug use