CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A bill has passed in North Carolina to help keep children safe.
The SAFE Child Act is designed to prosecute child abusers and help victims of physical or sexual abuse obtain justice through the courts.
It requires people to report abuse if they see it and extends the statute of limitations in child abuse cases.
The bill also allows prosecutors to use grand juries to investigate child abuse charges, and bans high-risk sex offenders from contacting minors on social media.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Escaped murder suspect, 13, shows up at uncle's house in leg shackle
- Officials: 7 students hurt when school bus rear-ended in Stanly County
- SC man gets 10 years for enslaving, torturing man with disabilities
- FORECAST: Rain on the way ahead of dramatic temperature plunge
- Teacher accused of sex with student found dead in apparent murder-suicide
© 2019 Cox Media Group.