LINCOLNTON, N.C. — A body was found behind the Lincoln Rehab Center in Lincolnton just before noon Wednesday.
Lincolnton's police chief estimates the body has probably been there for a year and half or two years.
A large area where the body was found was blocked off for hours.
Police said that city public works employees were installing a sewer line when they discovered the body around 11 a.m.
Police haven't identified the gender of the victim.
They said they didn’t find any evidence of foul play but have to treat this seriously until they figure out what happened.
The SBI and the medical examiner were on scene.
Channel 9 asked the chief if they have had any missing-persons cases recently that this could be connected to but has not yet received a response.
Police said they could be out there all night, even into the morning as they go through the scene.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Arrest made after man hit, killed by truck on I-85 following argument
- Teenager charged with killing his father in Kings Mountain
- CMPD: Man kidnapped girlfriend, fired shots into north Charlotte home
- Police chief: Body found behind rehab center may have been there for 2 years
- Action 9: Honda customers with paint problems could be covered by dealer
Cox Media Group