EMERALD ISLE, N.C. - The body of a man who apparently drowned after getting caught in a rip current off the North Carolina coast was found early Monday morning, officials said.
On Friday, authorities said a group of friends was swimming along the Emerald Isle coast when witnesses said two people were swept out by a rip current.
Mary Paige Merical, 17, from Raleigh, and Ian Frazier Lewis, 18, from Wake Forest, had been swimming near the beach strand.
Authorities spotted and rescued Merical but had no luck finding Frazier throughout the weekend.
Merical was taken to Carteret Health Care and later transferred to Vidant Medical Center, in Greenville North Carolina. She was listed in serious condition, officials said.
Emerald Isle police said they found Lewis’ body before dawn Monday along the beach strand, about five blocks down from where he was reported missing in the waves.
Emerald Isle officials released the following statement:
“The Town of Emerald Isle would like to extend our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Lewis, as well as our continued support and prayers to the family and friends of Ms. Merical.”
No other information has been released.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Two North Carolina children shot in road rage incident involving father
- No arrests made following late night shooting in northwest Charlotte
- Fort Bragg soldier dies in 'freak accident' while skydiving
- FORECAST: Grab a jacket! Chilly temperatures to start workweek
- It's official: CLT is losing its flight to Havana