• Buildup of propane gas causes explosion, one airlifted


    CABARRUS COUNTY - Fire crews responded to a call at the 8200 block of Malibu Road around 3:36 a.m. Saturday.

    Mt. Pleasant crews arrived first to find the resident of the home outside with extensive burns, and said his injuries were critical.

    Cabarrus County Assistant Fire Chief Doug Steele said the guest house, which was not attached to the home, exploded due to a buildup of propane gas. The explosion caused the fire and a partial collapse of the guest house. Steele said the fire explosion went through the roof and side wall.

    The victim was taken to an air landing strip and flown to Carolinas Medical Center. An update on his injuries is not available.

    Officials are still investigating how and why the propane gas exploded.

    The explosion caused between $15,000 and $18,000 in damage.

    No charges or citations were issued for the resident.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Buildup of propane gas causes explosion, one airlifted

  • Headline Goes Here

    Mother, father charged after 2-year-old boy dies in Rock Hill

  • Headline Goes Here

    Clean-up underway after flash flooding, trees toppled across region

  • Headline Goes Here

    Parents say Cleveland County teacher played offensive song in class

  • Headline Goes Here

    Senate postpones hearing for Trump VA pick Ronny Jackson amid 'serious…