BURKE COUNTY, N.C. — Burke County students and teachers are back in the classroom for the first time this school year.
The school district switched to Plan B Monday after originally starting the year all virtual. Under Plan B, some students are in the classroom Monday and Thursday and the rest go Tuesday and Friday to limit the number of children on campus at one time.
Channel 9′s Dave Faherty reported on the decision to switch gears a few weeks ago and since then he’s learned about the safety precautions in place to keep everyone healthy.
The principal of Forest Hill Elementary Schools said not only are the students all wearing masks but they are now required to wash their hands up to eight times a day.
Students are social distancing in the classroom and in the hallways where there are markings on the floor.
Even during PE the students are wearing face masks and are kept apart from each other.
Faherty got a chance to talk with several teachers Monday morning who are glad the children are back in the classroom, but said they too are being careful because of the pandemic.
“It’s a step of faith really. You step out and just trust that we’re taking every precaution we need to take and we’re just loving kids as we always have,” one teacher said.
The Cabarrus County Board of Education is scheduled to meet at 6 p.m. on Monday.
As of right now, they don’t plan to discuss the results of a recent survey that asked parents how they feel about moving from Plan C to Plan B.
The board told us that the agenda can be changed at the beginning of the meeting, so we’ll keep an eye on that.
© 2020 Cox Media Group