CHARLOTTE, N.C. — One person is dead and three others hurt after a crash overnight shut down a busy road in north Charlotte.
The wreck happened around 12:30 a.m. along Atando Avenue, between Graham Street and Statesville Road.
Channel 9 saw the damaged car, which apparently overturned into a tree. The car was towed from the scene around 3 a.m.
Investigators said the driver, whose name has not been released, was killed in the crash. One passenger, Brenda Kearse, was seriously injured and taken to the hospital.
Two other passengers, Shakeela Williams and Jermaine Walls, suffered minor injuries and were treated by paramedics on scene.
Officials told Channel 9 that the 1996 Buick the victims were traveling in was headed east on Atando Avenue when it entered a curve in the road and ran off the right side of the road, hitting the curb and a tree before flipping.
Detectives said speed was not a factor but that alcohol did appear to play a role in the crash.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 6 gang members with ties to Lake Wylie couple's slayings sentenced
- Family warns of dangers after 21-year-old dies of flu complications
- WATCH: Gators poke snouts out of ice to survive cold at NC park
- CMPD: Alcohol a factor in crash that killed 1, injured 3 north of uptown
- VIDEO: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast update
- School and business closing alerts
Cox Media Group