CABARRUS COUNTY, N.C. - A Cabarrus County teenager wants every officer in the community recognized for the important work they do, especially K-9s and their handlers.
Boy Scout Mark Fassett is creating a memorial to honor K-9 units, which he said is long overdue.
The K-9 unit memorial at the Cabarrus County Animal Shelter is part of Fassett’s Eagle Scout project.
K-9s and their handlers are some of the most heroic officers, Fassett said.
“I did this as appreciation,” he said.
“Watching him give back to the community and not even realizing that's what he's doing, that's just part of what he's supposed to do -- what we're all supposed to do,” his mother, Melissa Fassett, said.
The Boy Scout hopes others who see his project will be inspired to reach out and help in their communities as well.
They're also adding a flagpole at the shelter as part of the project.
There will be a special flag raising ceremony next week.
To learn more about the animal shelter, click here.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- President Trump to sign executive order in Charlotte on Friday
- Man who shot at mother outside school taken into custody after standoff
- Navy fighter jet surprises boater off NC coast with fly-by
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Friday forecast outlook
- Charlotte auditions: Got what it takes to be the next 'American Idol?'
© 2018 Cox Media Group.