CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Carowinds' newest roller coaster, the Copperhead Strike, was closed after a guest injured their hand on the ride over the weekend, park officials said.
According to officials, the guest hurt their thumb on the ride Sunday evening and was taken to the hospital for medical attention.
The roller coaster reopened Friday.
"Out of precaution, the ride is currently closed while we conduct an assessment. The safety of our guests is our top priority," Carowinds said in a statement earlier in the week.
Park officials said after the assessment, they decided to make a change to the seatbacks as an extra precaution.
The ride reopened after the change was completed.
The Copperhead Strike is the first double-launch roller coaster in the Carolinas, which means the coaster goes from 0 mph to 42 mph in 2.5 seconds. Midway through the ride, a second thrust of acceleration launches riders again.
Copperhead Strike launched in 2019.
© 2020 Cox Media Group