MOORESVILLE, N.C. - A group in Iredell County hosted a charity ride Saturday for fallen Mooresville police officer Jordan Sheldon.
Many of the vehicles had the thin blue line flags, indicating their support for law enforcement.
The ride raised money for a scholarship that will be made in Sheldon’s name for a student in basic law enforcement training at Mitchell Community College.
“Anyone who plans on serving Iredell County and has a financial need will have an opportunity at this scholarship,” organizer Lauren Ciccone said.
A number of drivers in Saturday’s NASCAR All-Star race also paid a special tribute to Sheldon by placing a decal on their cars.
Driver Kyle Busch, whose team is based in Mooresville, hosted a pair of Mooresville police K-9 officers during Friday night’s truck race.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: Man stabbed to death in South End gas station parking lot
- Police: Suspect, victim likely knew each other in University City shooting
- CMPD officer charged with giving 1-year-old, 6-year-old alcohol
- FORECAST: Rain chances low as temperatures climb into the 90s
- Hurricane season is weeks away, but storm could be brewing in Atlantic
© 2019 Cox Media Group.