CHARLOTTE — Ricardo Mata, owner of PlaySpanish, is charged with indecent liberties with a child.
Court records show the 52-year-old was arrested Friday.
Police said they began investigating after the parents of a 7-year-old girl said she was assaulted at a summer camp in 2017. She is now 8-years-old.
PlaySpanish is a Spanish language program that has been offered in some Charlotte-Mecklenburg Public Schools as well as daycares in and around Charlotte.
The organization's website says they've worked with more than 15,000 children over the last 21 years.
Bond was set at $50,000.
At this point, there are no allegations that Mata had alleged victims anywhere else.
In a statement this afternoon Charlotte Mecklenburg schools said Mata had been a volunteer there until December. He is now banned from school campuses.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Bicyclist killed after being struck by several vehicles in Kings Mountain
- Man accused of speeding 102 mph leads troopers on high-speed chase
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- Rush hour crowds ride Blue Line Extension after successful weekend opening
- 2 Charlotte area teens heading to Hollywood on 'American Idol'
Cox Media Group