CFD investigating second deadly house fire in 8-hour span

CFD investigating second deadly house fire in 8-hour span

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Charlotte Fire Department was investigating a fatal house fire in west Charlotte Friday morning -- the second deadly fire in the city within eight hours.

Crews were called around 7:30 a.m. to the home on David Avenue, just off Little Rock Road.

Content Continues Below

CFD investigators said one person inside the home did not survive. That person has not yet been identified.

Channel 9 reporter Anthony Kustura reported seeing six fire engines at the scene, and officials said it took 28 firefighters about 35 minutes to get the fire under control.

Channel 9s Anthony Kustura gives the latest update as the Charlotte Fire Department investigates the second deadly house fire in 8 hours.

Posted by WSOC-TV on Friday, October 18, 2019

One woman said she was putting her son on the bus when she saw this.

“My sister was at the door and saw my other neighbors run over there yelling and saying, ‘Hey, is anybody in there?’ And they kicked the door open, and the flames engulfed the front of the house and I called 911, “ Tyleshia Cherry said.

Neighbor Angela Felts and her family said they didn't know their neighbor who lived in the home, but when they saw it on fire, she said her husband jumped into action.

"A little shaken up to be honest with you, just kind of hits you close to home," Felts said. "He kicked the door in and he heard the man calling out, but he couldn't tell where he was."

There was no word on what caused the fire, which remains under investigation.

Fire officials said no foul play is suspected.

Just hours earlier in east Charlotte, crews were called to a fire at a home on Birchcrest Drive, just off Central Avenue, and learned someone was still trapped inside.

That person died.

Investigators said the fire was caused by “discarded smoking material.”

Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.