CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Charlotte firefighters came together to donate hundreds of backpacks to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools students.
The book bags were handed out at the Arbor Glen Park Recreation Center.
It was all in honor of 9-year-old Michael Johnson, who died when his southwest Charlotte apartment caught fire in April 2018.
"Unfortunately, I wasn't able to save my son, so I definitely want to give back to the community where we can save another child. Give them fire safety awareness, come out support," mother Domonique Bradley said.
The backpacks will be filled with school supplies and fire safety materials.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Three people hurt after being shot in west Charlotte, police say
- Experienced thieves steal $300,000 worth of precious metal in SC
- SCOREBOARD: High School Football Scores
- NTSB releases preliminary report on plane crash Dale Earnhardt Jr., family escaped
- Two men charged in connection with eight break-ins across Charlotte
© 2019 Cox Media Group.