Officials: Charlotte father who disappeared on bike ride found dead

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Officials with the Charlotte Fire Department told Channel 9 that their search for a man reported missing after never returning home from a bike ride ended Tuesday after his body was found.

Officials say they found Charles Pfeiler Tuesday morning a little more than a mile from where he was last seen in Boyce Park.

Investigators say they will be conducting a death investigation, but do not suspect foul play.

Family members of Charles Pfeiler said he left for a bicycle ride last Wednesday but had not been seen since.

Pfeiler, 48, was reported missing Wednesday night off Ashton Gate Drive in south Charlotte. Officials said Pfeiler had a medical condition and they were concerned about his well-being.

Authorities did not elaborate on any details surrounding Pfeiler's death.

Fire officials set up a command post down the street from Charlotte Christian School, along Sardis Road, to look for Pfeiler for the last several days.

On Monday, Charlotte fire officials focused their search on a two-mile radius around the spot where he was last seen.

“This search has not stopped,” Capt. Jackie Gilmore, with the Charlotte Fire Department, said. “You may not see the firefighters out walking the street, but it has not stopped.”

Officials kept the exact search spots private to prevent interference.

“Investigators are looking at everything and anything that’s been called in,” Gilmore said.

Charlotte Fire, CMPD, Charlotte-Mecklenburg, and Cleveland County Emergency Management helped with the search.

Fire officials said they used a drone from Cleveland County to assist in the effort.

Gilmore said the fire department brought in many units to conduct a thorough search of the community.

Officials went into wooded areas and bike trails in various neighborhoods to look for Pfeiler.

"We're asking the community to please let the fire department do the search, we're out here in the woods in heavy thick brush areas," Gilmore said.

Family members told police that Pheiler left his house riding a gray Trek mountain-style bike. Officials said he has not contacted family members since.

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: