CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte celebrated a milestone birthday on Monday.
WATCH the video above as Channel 9's Tina Terry speaks with event organizers, as people pack uptown Charlotte to celebrate the Queen City's 250th Anniversary.
Colonial Gov. William Tryon authorized the city's founding on Dec. 3, 1768.
Organizers of the celebration said Charlotte became known as a place to achieve economic success and that placed the way to modern day Charlotte.
The city honored the anniversary with a huge party on the square at Trade and Tryon streets from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Streets around the square closed at 6 a.m. and reopened at 5 p.m.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Who is McCrae Dowless, man who appears to be center of 9th District investigation?
- Police: North Carolina teacher had sexual ties with student
- Community petitions to allow father of slain Lumberton teen into US for funeral
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- Moving photo of George H.W. Bush's service dog lying near casket
Cox Media Group