CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A 6-year-old was taken to a hospital after being hit by an SUV Friday morning in north Charlotte.
The crash happened around 6:30 a.m. on David Cox Road near West Sugar Creek Road.
Police told Channel 9 that the child missed the school bus and was hit by an SUV while running to catch it.
Investigators said the driver who hit the child stayed at the scene and is cooperating with police.
Officers said the child is awake and alert, but was taken to a nearby hospital. The extent of the child's injuries are unknown.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Parents fight to get diploma for son who died in his sleep
- CMPD: Heat exhaustion brought 9-hour standoff to an end
- NC man once on death row sees conviction overturned -- four decades later
- FORECAST: Near-record heat grips Carolinas through Memorial Day Weekend
- 6-year-old hit by SUV while trying to catch school bus, police say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.